Tuesday, October 27, 2015

FIRST WEEK IN THE FIELD

Elder Nick Ovalles' email this week:


Hey family and friends!

I hope everyone had a splendid week! I know I did! On October 20th
around 6pm, I arrived at the Orem Utah Mission Home! We were welcomed
and had an awesome dinner. We spent the night there and I slept great!
Well, without further ado.... Here is my week:

Wednesday: we arrived at the mission building in Lindon and had a
bunch of meetings and trainings. After that, it was transfer meeting!
My heart was racing because I wondered who y companion was! All the
missionaries were called first and I was the last one...seriously!
President Killpack said the following: "Elder Ovalles, meeting your
new companion, Elder De La CaƱa Barbosa!" We saw each other, we
embraced and then we sat down. Elder Barbosa was born in Mexico but
lives in Virginia! EAST COAST FOR THE WIN! Something even cooler is
that he plays lacrosse too!!!! We were meant to be companions! I was
assigned to the Orem Heights Zone, Suncrest 8th Ward (Spanish
Speaking) in the Geneva District!! So after that, we went to go buy my
bike. It was a good 250-300 dollars........! Then we went to target to
buy some other things like food. (Yes mom I used coupons). Anyways, we
got back to our apartment (it's only Elder Barbosa and I living there)
and got ready for our lesson. So we biked (no cars in our area, sadly)
to a trailer park where we do most of our teaching. We had dinner with
the Corona Family. They're awesome an family. They're less active but
we're helping them come back :) so after that we biked back to our
apartment because our planned appointments weren't home. One the way
biking home, I got my first flat tire. It was the worst. But lots of
people in Utah spoil the missionaries so we had people come fix my
bike and gave me two new bike tubes and a bike repair kit.....all
within 30 minutes.....talk about love for the missionaries! That night
we taught the Machuca Family.. Well just the husband and wife but
still. The lesson was so spiritual. He has given up drinking and has
committed to live the Word of Wisdom. I felt prompted to invite them
to be baptized, I don't know why but I did. And they said YES! So they
will both be baptized on November 7th! Well if all goes well with
church attendance and they keep the commitments then it will happen.

Thursday: So we were in the middle of finding people to teach in the
trailer park when the mission office called and ask if we could be a
trio until Saturday morning. (Elder Sanchez missed his plane home). So
we walked everywhere because he didn't have a bike. We taught a bunch
of lessons and played soccer with some kids in the trailer park.

Friday: We taught a bunch of lessons to less active families in the
trailer park and the neighborhood outside of it. I would go into
detail but that takes too long. We went to this Latino Restaurant
where missionaries can whatever they whenever they want. It was great
and I ate as much as I could. It was good! I had the best empanadas
there! You all have to try some! Which reminds me, send me recipes!

Saturday: biggest and only highlight of the day---- meeting Elder
Ballard of the 12! He is awesome and he is a funny guy but so
spiritual.

Sunday: our alarm didn't ring!!!!! We were almost late to stake
correlation meeting! The Machucas missed church :( it was sad


Anyways, I love you all and sorry I couldn't reply to all of you
personally. You can always send emails and I'll begin typing them
through the week! I didn't get my full time for email so I'll reply
later this week if I have time.

Love you all and miss you all,

Elder Ovalles

No comments:

Post a Comment